Re: Fixing the Nth Coast Line.

In article <36F0F717.21B0E435@enternet.com.au> Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> writes:
>From: Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Fixing the Nth Coast Line.
>Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:52:39 +1000

>There is bugger-all local traffic these days, so why not simply revert
>to the original Sydney-Brisbane main-line via Werris Creek and
>standardise north of Wallangarra.  At least its on a main-line alignment
>which is more than can be said for the current line.

>Is it true that at the time of NR taking over interstate freight a few
>years ago there was serious consideration given to this?

Been a while since I travelled to Wallangarra,but from memory I dont think
this line is much better,than the Nth Coast Line.
There are many 1:40 grades between Murrurundi and Wallangarra,the liverpool
range being one of the worst.
The narrow guage line between Wallangarra and Toowoomba is full of sharp
radius curves , and then you have the climb down the range from Toowoomba to
Helidon.
I really wonder how much better this is .
Also the Nth Coast line has to be kept open at least as far as Stratford Mine
for the coal .
I dont think this is an easy one to fix.
MD