Re: Melbourne News or rumours?

: I only read the "Herald-Sun" over the shoulders of everyone else on the
: train on the way to and from work, so I dont have all the details, but
: yesterday's headline was about a major redevelopment of Flinders Street
: station with a half-page (front-page) artists impression which shows
: amongst other things the tracks at the West end of the station covered
: over with another roof linke Fed Square.  Also in the article was
: something about a 'fast link to the Airport'.

Yes in yesterdays HS there was a thing about Flinders Street, it is a
plan by 'Grand Metro Consortium' involving sandridge rail
bridge, covering the tracks out of Flinders Street, light rail link to
Docklands, and the airport (regards of the City Link Act which only
allows a heavy rail), and Northbank including Banana Alley Vaults.

: Today's Hun had a story about an order being placed for 50 low-floor
: trams over the next 5 years to replace the Z class - I also heard this
: on ABC radio this morning when half asleep.

Yes something about 50 trams to replace the Z1 and Z2 trams by 2004
the trams would be like some German ones (I think like Sydney) and
then the rest of the trams gone by 2026.  It is a condition of the
sale of Yarra and Swanston Trams that they replace the trams and
pay for it.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord