Hansard 7/8

       Australian House of Representatives Hansard for 8th February 1999

                           PRIVATE MEMBERS BUSINESS
                              Rail Infrastructure

                        This document has DRAFT status

   Mr HARDGRAVE (Moreton) (1.12 p.m.)--There is no doubt that rail
   infrastructure in this country is in a parlous state, but at least
   this government is addressing that problem. With proper planning and
   coordination, and the $250 million that has been allocated, a start
   has been made. In the motion before us today, the member for Hinkler,
   in his wisdom and commitment to a good outcome, encourages the cabinet
   in particular to look more closely at ways to further enhance the $250
   million that has already been allocated. In the last parliament, the
   Standing Committee on Communications, Transport and Micro Economic
   Reform did a lot of work and spoke to a lot of people about the
   problems associated with rail transport in this country.

   I think what the member for Hinkler has put forward today is worthy of
   support. In some ways--and I have said this to the member privately--I
   would like to amend the motion and add just about any form of
   infrastructure because what is true for rail is true for almost every
   bit of infrastructure in this country. More money needs to be spent
   after proper planning and consideration.

   The problem with rail is not the making of this government but is
   something that has happened over the last 120 years. All
   infrastructure in this country has basically been an area of
   responsibility for government since 1788. Rail has been the victim of
   competing interests between state and federal governments and the
   pro-road and pro-rail lobbies for far too long. As different transport
   ministers and different departmental heads have come and gone, and as
   the pro and anti rail forces come and go, we have seen the current
   mess develop.

   What we have at stake, after almost 100 years of federation, is not
   much of a change from what we had 100 years ago. Those competing
   interests are still there and some of the inadequacies and
   inconsistencies of the rail system from 100 years ago are still here
   today. For instance, the Commonwealth government puts money into rail
   infrastructure into Sydney. The standard gauge, conveniently for the
   New South Wales government, is also the gauge in New South Wales. The
   first thing that happens when more rail is laid to the port of Botany
   or ports around Sydney is that the New South Wales government decides
   that the Sydney suburban rail lines should access that rail and
   freight is left sitting outside Sydney for six or 12 hours waiting for
   a slot to get in. So Sydney is an absolute basket case.

   The national track between Brisbane and Newcastle is an absolute
   disgrace. Yet north of that, in Queensland, is the best laid track in
   Australia. And why? Because, deliberately, over the last eight years
   there has been a concerted effort to put real money into the
   infrastructure. For instance, between Brisbane and
   Rockhampton--through the electorate of the honourable member for
   Hinkler--the curves, inclines and gradients have all been relaid with
   the future in sight. And more recently, plans have been announced to
   continue that through to Cairns. This is the sort of thing that needs
   to be done across Australia.

   You cannot help but wonder if, in fact, given the problem in Sydney,
   it might be better to put the Queensland gauge through as the standard
   gauge; it might prevent the Sydney city trains from using it as a way
   of right. The previous efforts from the Keating government--their One
   Nation rail moneys--in practice, were a farce. For instance, the
   committee found during its deliberations that some infrastructure that
   was bought was not properly laid--that concrete sleepers were left
   lying beside railway lines. The sleepers were bought with the One
   Nation moneys and in rural Victoria they were not installed.

   In my own electorate the Port of Brisbane rail link, which commences
   from the National Rail freight terminal partly in my electorate and
   partly in the electorate of the member for Rankin--I see him here in
   the chamber--sat idle for a couple of years while there were arguments
   over signalling.

   Mr DEPUTY SPEAKER--Order. The time allotted for this debate has
   expired. The debate is adjourned and the resumption of the debate will
   be made an order of the day for the next sitting. The honourable
   member will have leave to continue speaking when the debate is
   resumed.

[end]