Hansard 6/8

       Australian House of Representatives Hansard for 8th February 1999

                           PRIVATE MEMBERS BUSINESS
                              Rail Infrastructure

                        This document has DRAFT status

   Ms HALL (Shortland) (1.07 p.m.)--I understand that the issues raised
   by the member for Hinkler arise out of an inquiry conducted by the
   House of Representatives Standing Committee on Communications,
   Transport and Micro Economic Reform into the role of rail in the
   national transport network. My predecessor the Hon. Peter Morris was
   deputy chair of that committee and he has emphasised to me the
   importance of upgrading our rail infrastructure. It is of vital
   importance not only to Australia as a whole, but also to the Hunter
   and Central Coast regions within my electorate. My predecessor also
   mentioned to me that the member for Hinkler has a great interest in
   rail and is very committed to seeing that we get the national rail
   network, as was my predecessor.

   The current national rail network is not meeting the needs of
   Australia. It is creating a problem for regional areas like the ones I
   represent. It is inhibiting the transfer of goods to and from the
   regions and impacting on the economic viability of the industries
   operating in the regions. Its inadequacies are forcing companies to
   transport their goods by road, which in turn is forcing government to
   invest more money in upgrading road infrastructure. It is essential
   that this government act now to upgrade the track between Sydney and
   Melbourne. This section of track needs straightening and all sections
   of the track must be upgraded to a dual tracking system.

   Another major problem area is Sydney where there is a bottleneck that
   causes major problems for goods travelling from Newcastle to
   Melbourne. Trains are regularly delayed for up to six hours. Sydney is
   a major problem as far as a seamless rail system is concerned. These
   problems must be addressed as a priority. There needs to be a major
   investment into this infrastructure because the delays are currently a
   major disincentive to the use of rail.

   While this government has committed $250 million to rail
   infrastructure Australia wide over four years, this does little to
   solve the bottleneck at Sydney where in the vicinity of $600 million
   is required to be spent to ensure the smooth transit of freight. The
   commitment to rail infrastructure must be expanded. I can understand
   the member for Hinkler calling for the $250 million to be
   extended--$250 million is only a drop in the bucket. If our national
   rail infrastructure is to be upgraded, then the government must show
   some leadership. It must make a substantial financial commitment to
   the upgrade. If it does not show this leadership and does not make a
   more substantial commitment, our national road infrastructure will
   collapse.

   The Tracking Australia report recommended that in addition to the $250
   million committed to the national rail infrastructure there should be
   a further $750 million over three years. I can understand why the
   member for Hinkler is encouraging this money to be committed. It is
   essential that we have this investment. The $750 million would be
   spent on priorities developed between the state and Commonwealth
   government. There would be a further $2 billion over 10 years from the
   year 2001. It is very evident that an enormous financial commitment is
   needed and it is beholden on this government to ensure the future
   viability of our national rail infrastructure by making this
   substantial commitment to the upgrading of the rail network. It is
   quite obvious that $250 million will do little to upgrade our national
   rail infrastructure. It is essential that the government address the
   need for a standard gauge, as has already been mentioned, from
   Brisbane to Perth. There is a chronic deficiency that needs to be
   addressed to stop the irretrievable deterioration of the system.

   As the member for Hinkler would agree, the current investment is
   totally inadequate, even with the $250 million. The government needs
   to do much more in terms of effective investment in Australia's public
   rail infrastructure. It is essential that the government show
   leadership and assist in the development of an integrated, funded
   transport plan with a strategy to address the needs of the nation's
   rail. If this does not happen, it will collapse. The government must
   show leadership and address the imbalance that exists between road and
   rail funding. (Time expired)