Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Questions

Daruwalla 2460 <daruwalla_2460@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

> My question is: How did they get the locos onto the
> tram tracks?

> Did they build a temporary connection?

The eastern and western bridge rail tracks ran parallel to each other
for several hundred metres between North Sydney and Milson's Point
Stations before the Eastern tracks veered away to cross over the main
bridge roadway on a large steel arch bridge to take up their alignment
on the eastern side of the bridge structure.

For the bridge load deflection test, a temporary connection was laid
in between the eastern and western rail tracks in the parallel section
between North Sydney and Milson's Point.

> Was there a permanent connection between the two systems (if so,
> where?)?

There was a permanent connection for many years at St Leonards, where
there was a tramway Permanent Way yard next to the eastern side
railway goods yard.  This connection was used for the transfer of
tramcars between the main tram system and the otherwise isolated North
Sydney tram system, prior to the construction of a special low loading
trailer (nicknamed "The Lizard") for road haulage of trams.

The haulage of standard tramcars over the railway system was a tedious
exercise, due to the different wheel standards, and was carried out by
steam tram motors equipped with railway profile wheels.  The electric
trams with tramway profile wheels being hauled by the steam tram
motors were restricted to *extremely* low speeds through any railway
special work.  The tram transfer trips ran between St Leonards and
Botany Rd via Hornsby and Strathfield. Copies of the special train
notices for tramcar transfer movements exist and detail a very slow
journey.

Cheers,

Bill