Re: Some VR, V/Line questions

MarkBau1 wrote:

> I'm in the process of drawing a up to date Victorian rail map. I was wondering
> if anyone could answer the following questions for me?
>
> I need dates of conversion from BG to SG of the western line tracks, Servi to
> Ararat to Nth Geelong. Ararat to Portland.

conversion dates:
Ararat - Vic Border   closed 14 April 1995, reopened 23 May 1995.
Maroona - Heywood  closed 17 March 1995, reopened 23 May 1995.
Heywood - Portland closed 11 April 1995, reopened 23 May 1995.
Heywood - Vic Border mothballed 11 April 1995, still intact.

> Yaapeet and Hopetoun were converted to SG correct?

Dimboola - Rainbow closed 14 April 1995, reopened 23 May 1995.
Rainbow - Yaapeet closed 10 April 1995, reopened 23 May 1995. (a/c grain out of
Rainbow)

> What is Ararat to Maryborough? BG or SG, if its SG I presume the SG went to
> Dunnoly, is this correct? If so Maryborough to Dunnoly is dual gauge, correct?

Ararat - Maryborough closed BG 14 April 1995, reopened SG 28 April 1996.
Maryborough - Dunolly dual gauge opened 28 April 1996. (No SG crossing facilities
between Ararat and Dunolly)

> Nth Geelong to Gheringhap is dual gauge, correct?

opened 23 May 1995.

> Opening date of Melb to Nth Geelong SG?

23 May 1995.

> Is Wodonga to Bandiana still open?

BG closed 22 Jan 1995 Wodonga - Livestock Siding Bandiana.

> On the Mildura track they built Sulky loop, Tourello loop, Talbot loop and Emu
> loop, did they build any others?

By loops I assime you mean new/converted trailable loops.
Sulky Loop 28 July 1988, Tourello Loop 26 Nov 1987, Talbot Loop (existing loop
extended). The remainder of the extended loops were provided by extending existing
crossing loops except for Donald where the new loop at the south end was opened 9
Dec 1988.

> Current status of Heywood to Mt Gambier track? (out of service but not
> officially closed?)

See above.

> I will supply anyone on this NG thats wants one a file of the completed map.
>
> The map will be an "all time" Victorian map showing all lines, their
> opening/closing dates, all stations etc.

I look forward to receiving a copy as it will enable me to check information
against my gazeteer of Victorian Stations and Sidings which will be a
comprehensive listing of all stations and sidings with name changes, openings and
closings. Future plans are to include details of signalling and safeworking and
perhaps other relevant information regarding facilities.

> Thanks for any help
>
> Mark.

regards

David Langley.