Re: One morning at Merri...

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Krel wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:35:10 +1100, Jennifer Richmond
> <richmond@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> >David Johnson wrote:
> >> Possibly so that they would always be driving short end leading.
> >
> >Aha! That makes sense as they were facing the right way for this.
> >
> Why would this be a problem? Both T and P class are bidirectional
> locos and Vic (unlike NSW) have no qualms about a spot of long end
> leading.
> More likely it was because of the hills and pathing requirements.
> Krel

I think it is because of one of the following reasons (or both):

The 2nd unit was a backup loco.
Did you ever hear the spark transfer to Westall spark depot, in which the
single T class failed and a regular spark pushed both the dead spark & T
class into the depot?

VLF decided to be generous and provide extra power / or Hillside wanted
extra power, so as not to upset regular scheduled services.
I do know that a T class can haul 6 Hitachi cars up to Epping with no
problems at all.

Gareth