Re: Melbourne's poor Met service

<<<<<<David could well be right.  IMHO pilot working on both lines (with two
pilotmen) is not prohibited by rules, just by the attitude of the
safeworking manager.>>>>>>>

This has long been a debateable point and yes, it depends on the mood of the
powers that be.

IMHO, a pilotman gets absolute authority between 2 stations, doesn't matter if
the two stations are joined by double track or single track. Because every
train running between those two stations must have the pilotman, (or his
instructions) it is theoretically imposible to have 2 pilotmen controlling the
same section UNLESS the pilotmans orders were to specify which track he had
authority over.

I think its one of those things that could be debated endlessley.

BTW, I believe the recent pilotworking on the Sandy line had some sort of
seperate authority for each track, a driver told me about it late at night
after too many beers! :-)

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/