Re 520/621

>< Tell > (telljb@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>> Speaking of gauge convertible, I was not aware that the
>> 520 class were.
>
>IIRC, the 520s have dished wheels which can be reversed to change the
>gauge.

Correct they are/were!

>Great idea David, it should be ok as long as you're on a straight or
>curved bit of track. But do you think the flanges might have an
>argument with the rail, though, going through a point or a crossing,
>being on the OUTSIDE of the wheel if they are reversed around?

The direction of the WHEELS were to be reversed relative to the STEEL TYRES
which are heat shrunk onto the wheels and thus the FLANGE still rides on
the inside of the rail track. Tyre changing by heat shrinking was quite
common in railway workshop circles, after which they were profiled and
turned. Have a closer look at any wheel and you should see two distinct
"layers of steel" where the tyre meets the wheel.

And please think through some of the silly suggestions or clarify some of
the points made before posting a quote like this... no wonder railfans get
a bad name!

Trevor Gibbs