Re: Brisbane Light Rail,Briztram - questions

David Bromage wrote...
>David Bennetts (davibenn@pcug.org.au) wrote:
>> >Don't quite get how FIXED rails in the ground could be regarded a
>> >FLEXIBLE - certainly a lot less flexible than busses - but I digress.
>
>> It is more flexible and less costly than heavy rail, I concede that buses
>> may be more flexible but they get stuck in traffic and produce more noise
>> and air pollution.

Light rail vehicles can run both in streets and on heavy rail (Karlsruhe).
Buses cannot.
Monorail cannot (neither in streets at grade nor on rails)

>Fixed rails have a much greater appeal to commuters. There's no need to
>worry about routes being changed in a hurry. Of course, the happy medium
>would be trolley buses. :)

Agreed. I live in a town where first rails for streetcars were installed in
1876 and lasts were scrapped in 1966. The most important bus routes still
follows exactly the same paths. "After changes upon changes we are more or
less the same" P. Simon :-)

Cheers, Marco