Re: ANOTHER CITYARIL COCKUP

I find it hard to believe that any organisation actually committed to
putting the customer first, would voluntarily close the system down - for
maintenance or anything - even if 'only for the weekend'.

Sure - maintenance needs to be done - but customers turning up at stations
(as is their habit) are only going to think 'never again' when faced with a
bus.  Personally, I dare not plan a train trip on weekends nowadays without
ringing 131 500 first to see if I'm better off in a car.  And then I say
'why even bother ringing 131 500 - I'll just take the car anyway - it is
more reliable'.

Surely the challenge is to achieve maintenance without causing undue
disruption to customers?

I think the SRA learnt the 'closed for maintenance' trick from the old
British Rail - an organisation hell bent on closing itself down as fast as
possible so staff could enjoy the redundancy payments.  (I remember waiting
on Llandudno Junction station in 1991 to catch the train to Blaneau
Ffestiniog - one of the UK's most scenic rail trips, and a line BR had been
trying to close for years.  Imagine my amazement when BR announce that a bus
will take passengers today because 'due to the rain, BR is afraid the
bridges may be unsafe.'  In other words - 'Please don't catch this train
ever again. We want you to think it isn't safe. Tell your friends and
family.'

Regards
Ed