Re: TRAMWAY TRIVIA 2

"David & Jan Winter" <winterd@icenet.com.au> wrote:

>Where's Nickel Junction?

I quickly saw I had made a mistake here- the man wanted STREET
tramways.  Nickel Jct wasn't on a street tramway.

Nickel Junction was where the TGR's North East Dundas Tram (2' 0") in
Western Tasmania threw off a branch line to Griffith.  Right at this
spot it also dived under the Emu Bay Railway.  The NEDT had a
passenger/mixed service, including a side-trip to Griffith, so I guess
it rates as "passenger-carrying".  I have never seen a photograph of
this bridge with a tram or train there, although I have a photo of my
own, without trams or trains in it (without rails, for that matter).

There was another tram-over-tram crossing at Zeehan, where the TGR's
2'0" Comstock Tramway (service as required) crossed over the Mt Zeehan
Co's Spray line, the latter in a tunnel at this point.  The Spray line
might be considered a street tramway- it connected end-on to the
Zeehan Tramway Co's passenger-carrying street tramway and through
trams ran over both (not passenger, though).  Before the TGR took over
the Comstock, it was the 3'6" Colonel North tram and it had a regular
passenger service for a while.  I cannot recall whether the Spray line
had been tunnelled under the Col. Nth at this time, however.

Geoff Lambert