Re: IT'S ACADEMIC - EASY ONE! -AND ANOTHER NOT-SO-EASY

Railway Rasputin wrote in message <36DB7EF0.A9372473@fastlink.com.au>...

>Ron BEST wrote:
>
>> Hawkesbury River was the one I was originally thinking of.
>> BTW, WHY do the railways INSIST on that name, when every other mortal
soul
>> calls the place Brooklyn?
>>

>Its just the way.
>The same reason the main and suburban lines between Westmead and St Marys
are
>arse about.
What do you mean by "arse about"? I always thought the "UP, UP, DOWN DOWN"
layout made more sense - the passengers don't have to play "musical
platforms", guessing which one the next train will arrive at!

Why was this arrangement used on this section? Was there once a plan to
convert Sydney - Granville to the same arrangement?

Actually, it's just occurred to me, that you weren't referring to the
"parallel" arrangement, but to the fact that the inner tracks should be the
"main" lines and vice versa. Perhaps this relates to how they originally
proposed to join the inner and outer sections. Of course, we now have the
ridiculous situation where a track changes its name at an arbitrary point
(down main becomes down suburban between Harris Park & Parramatta etc)

Rgds

Ron BEST