Re: New Era Ahead.

Railway Rasputin <bob@fastlink.com.au> wrote:

>NSW born and bred but I have and do give credit to other state's rail
>systems. I am impressed with the tilt train in QR but annoyed with the sell
>off in Vic. Imho I feel as if they have made a mistake. Time will tell.
>Proud of of the old "Sydney System" but are the first to bag or criticize
>State Rail. I disagreed with the split up and all the red tape it has
>generated but am glad we are turning around. Due to the conditions of my
>employment with State Rail, I can't comment to outside sources so I use my
>nick name. (I don't want to test the friendship) If you want my bio email me
>and I'll reply. This goes with any one else that wants it. If you doubt if
>my bio is correct you can confirm it with David Johnson or Malcom Alexander.

Fair enough.  I accept that.

The reason why I appear negative most times is that the
States had an opportunity all those years ago through
the old ROA "Railways of Australia Organisation" to
bring some sense and coordination to the multi gauge
mess that was railways in Australia.  ....they failed.

CR/ANR/AN had their faults, no doubt, BUT they could
see where the future of rail was.  You can not compete
with trucks by ignoring them as the state railways did.
You can not run all first class pass trains.

South Australia sold their rail system to the Feds when
Don Dunstan was Premier.  Did that State in the years
that followed help the cause of rail.?  NO BLOODY WAY,
they allowed road transport to ever increase with a
roads programme, increased loads with B-doubles and
road trains.  What did AN do, ....they did every thing
to encourage trucks onto rail, piggy back, trailer rail
or road railer and even heavy second hand flats from
the USA to carry two forty foot semi's.

They wanted to run piggy back trains as close to Sydney
as possible, what happened, ...nothing, NSW stymied it.
Australian National wanted "The Alice" to be all class
like their other trains, so that working people like
you and me could travel at less than first class
prices, they even wanted situps (gunzel class) but NSW
said no, first class only.  Exit ...The Alice after a
few years, it was carrying more crew than passengers.!

This news group needs the odd "negative", crusty old
(58 old actually) rail supporters like me to remind
people that the days of the friendly photogenic, gunzel
rail modelers, Thomas the Tank Engine type railway
operations were dead in the water after WW2.

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT