Re: Bluebirds to Run extra services in SA? Who refurbished what??

Grahame Ferguson <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> wrote in message
3775b9c0@nap-ns1">news:3775b9c0@nap-ns1...

> >David Bennetts wrote in message <3771742b.0@newshost.pcug.org.au>...
> >We seem to be getting a lot of reports in this NG about NSW and Victoria,
> >but little from elsewhere.
> >One item of interest is that the cities of Port Augusta, Port Pirie and
> >Whyalla are pushing for the return of passenger rail services to their
> >region, and have had discourse with the operators of the Barossa Wine
train
> >to see if they can provide Bluebird Railcars for the service.  Will
another
> >attempt be made to restore the railcars which V/Line couldn't get going?
> >
> >Refer to www.abc.net.au/news/state/sa/archive/metsa-21jun1999-6.htm  for
> >the
> >news report.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >David Bennetts
> >Canberra
> >
> Dear David, The  Blue Birds that are running in SA to the Barossa Valley
> were rebuilt by RTS in Melbourne, not by their owners.
> The ones hired to V/Line were rebuilt by a 3rd party i.e. Bluebird Rail
Inc.
> of SA, their owners.
That's not the full story. According to someone I know who actually worked
on them they were returned to SA and most of the mechanical work was
actually done at Bluebirds Islington facility. RTS was not given the option
of finishing the work they were doing. I'll leave you to speculate why
Bluebird decided to do the work themselves.