Re: Suggestions for a better Melbourne

Chris Brown <brownst@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
3775e430.23326878@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3775e430.23326878@news.alphalink.com.au...

> >EASTERN LINES:
> >
> >*  Electrification and reopening of line to Healesville, with stations at
> >Coldstream, Yering, Yarra Glen, Tarrawarra and Healesville.
> >
> I doubt that there's much point reopening Yering and Tarrawarra - both
> are in the middle of nowhere are would not generate any/much patronage

I agree with Yering, however I believe Tarrawarra would profit from the
winery that currently backs onto the old station, plus all other wineries in
the immediate area.

> >*  Reopening and electrification of Epping line to South Morang, with
> >stations at Mill Park (between Pindari Av. and Civic Dr.) and South
Morang
> >(intersection of McDonalds, Gorge and Plenty Rds.).  This would follow
the
> >original Whittlesea reservation to just past the Yan Yean pipe track,
then
> >veer right towards South Morang proper.
>
> It might be a better idea to stay on the whittlesea alignment, because
> it makes it easier to extend the line in the future.  In the short
> term, however, going in to South Morang proper would be better.

I don't like the chances of the line being reopened to Whittlesea, or any
further than South Morang even.  I did think of that at first, but I find it
unlikely that it would happen.

> >*  Opening of a Y-Link between Rushall and Westgarth, running trains from
> >Reservoir and Heidelberg, and calling it the Merrilands line.
>

> I think it would be quite difficult to build a triangle there, because
> of the space limitations.

I also thought this, but I thought it might be worth suggesting.

> >*  Running services from the City to Greensborough rather than Eltham.
> >
> >*  Extending all current Eltham bound trains to Hurstbridge, and having
them
> >run express from Jolimont to Victoria Park all day until 8.30 p.m.
>
> Don't they do that already (except that they are expree
> Jolimont-Clifton Hill, not vic. park

Yes, but very few actually do run express.  Most trains terminate at Eltham,
with only every second or so running to Hurstbridge.  The reason I suggested
Victoria Park instead of Clifton Hill was for the next item (the East
Doncaster line).

> >*  Run extend both Broadmeadows and Upfield trains to run from the City
> >Craigieburn via Fawkner or Broadmeadows.
>
> What is the point of extending both BMD and UFD to Cragieburn?  There
> is not much between Upfield and Somerton to warrant an electric train
> service.  Admittedly though, if/when the Broadmeadows-Airport line is
> built, it might be easier to run cragieburn trains via upfield, if you
> wanted them to run express. (so you wouldn't have to build a 3rd track
> to Broadmeadows
>
> >*  Extend the Flemington Racecourse line to connect with western lines
just
> >before South Kensington, allowing trains to run City - North Melbourne -
> >Showgrounds - Racecourse - North Melbourne.  The Showgrounds bypass track
> >would be removed and an additional platform would be constructed to allow
> >passengers to alight the train from either side.  The same would be done
at
> >Flemington Racecourse, with the allowance for two trains to sit at the
> >station at the one time.  This line would be renamed the Flemington
Circle.

> What is the point of extending the Flemington Racecourse line to
> Footscray?  Your ideas about Showgrounds/Racecourse stations are good,
> though

By running in the one direction, the trains would be going in the same flow
as the other suburban services (running through the circle anticloclkwise),
rather than crossing down Broadmeadows trains.  Also, by running in the one
direction trains can drop off and pick up and move off, allowing more
Flemington trains through.  This plan was based loosely around the Hombush
Bay line to Olympic Park in Sydney.

> >*  Addition of Werribee Racecourse to system maps.
>
> I don't think Werribee Racecourse platform is still in use - IIRC both
> platforms are still there, but the pedestrian access has been removed,
> and the platforms are in quite poor condidion (no shelter, etc)

I was not aware of Werribee Racecourses disrepair.

> >SOUTHERN AND SOUTH-EASTERN LINES:
> >
> >*  Opening of a new station named "Southland" at Bay Rd., Pennydale.
>
> Yes, this is long overdue.  The new station would be rather close to
> Cheltenham, though.

Perhaps, however look at the distances between stations on the Alamein
lines, and the distance between Blackburn and Laburnum, Chatham and Surrey
Hills, and East Camberwell and Camberwell.

> >*  Run services from City to Frankston stopping all stations at all
times.

> >*  Reopen and electrify the line to Mornington with stations at all
original
> >sites except for Mornington (former site of R.M.S.P. 16, on the western
side
> >of Nepean Hwy.).  Services would run Richmond - South Yarra - Caulfield -
> >Bentleigh - Moorabbin - Cheltenham - Mordialloc - Chelsea - Carrum then
all
> >to Mornington.  Services would run every weekday to Mornington, and to
> >Baxter on weekends.
>
> No service beyond Baxter on weekends?  no, I don't like that idea

This is due to the Mornington Peninsula Tourist Railway's operations on
weekends.

> >*  Resuming of electric services to Warragul with all Pakenham services
> >extended to Warragul.
>
> I don't think there'd be enough patronage from the stations
> Warragul-Pakenham to warrant every PKM train being extended there.
> Like someone said in another thread, it would be better to refurbish a
> few existing trains for interurban work.  You could then run them
> 'super express' (Pakenham - Berwick, Hallam -
> Dandenong-Clayton-Caulfield-Richmond-FSS

Perhaps.  Maybe every second train?

Thankyou for your response and feedback.  Some people may have noticed that
the Flemington Circle, City - Werribee via Altona/North Altona, City -
Craigieburn via Broadmeadows/Fawkner and the all-day express plans are
extremely similar to that on the westbound rail lines on CityRail's Sydney
suburban services.  Well,  yes!  But many of these are long overdue.

Cheers.