Re: Yarra Trams given to Metrolink

John Wayman wrote:

> Who would have the patience to travel from Knox City to the City by tram?
> East Burwood is too far now. It is better to build the lines closer to the
> city that should have beeen built years ago.

John, you have fallen for the same three card trick as a lot of other people
do. These lengthy tram lines are primarily used by people travelling short
distances between their homes and shopping centres/schools etc. The only
people travelling right through would be the driver and any people with time
on their side. I could imagine that some people who are not able to access a
railway line would use it to the city. Not everyone is participating in the
rat race. It also can be used if the railway service is not running for some
reason or another. The tram from Ferntree Gully to the city would, I'm sure,
be faster (and with no modal transfer) than the train/bus/train operation
during track works etc.

David Langley.