Re: NSWGR Timber Trestles

Barry Campbell wrote in message <376EBDEB.E5E191FB@qimr.edu.au>...

Snip
>I think Graham means the standard open or transom top trestle that was
>the usual bridge on most branch lines and quite a lot of main line
>trackage. I've never seen a double track version.
>
>Barry Campbell

In my experience where a NSW railway had got to by 1889, the end of the
Whitton regime for new construction, can be seen by examining the underline
structures. Ballast-top openings, bridges, trestles are almost a signature
of Whitton; whereas the transom top structures are to Henry Deane's design.
Mainline or branchline doesn't  seem to matter. Example: ballast top
structures Joppa Jct to Cooma, transom structures Cooma to Bombala. Barring
the odd rebuild few transom structures inside "1889" boundary. Granted most
new construction after 1889 rarely rose beyond branchline status.

Still can't think of two track timber structure of any design.