Off to Sydney

I am anticipating a railfan trip to Sydney next week catching the daylight
XPT from Benalla. What I propose to do is this. Alight the train at Goulburn
(that is if it stops there) and catch an intra city endeavour to Bundanoon
for an overnight stay. "There's a motel right opposite the railway".The
following day catch an early morning service into the city for a day of
riding the sparks, (any interesting choices of lines, eg busy freight lines
or depot visits?). Then catch an evening service to Bundanoon .The following
day make a daylight connection home again on the XPT.

Questions
: Am I making the right connections?
: What are other XPT set down stops if not
  Goulburn?
Any other info I would appreciate greatly.

Regards
Thommo