Re: axle boxes ( F.V.)

Julie Thomson wrote in message ...
>Over the last 6 months or so I have noticed Victorias rail freight wagons
>have painted axle boxes in a multitude of colours.  Is this to do with
>servicing. Can someone enlighten me.
>
>Regards
>
>Thommo

Its an easy guide to show when an upgrade is necessary. Noticed [recently
that locomotives are similalry treated]
as time goes by, the purple will disapear and be replaced by green??
Hose bags on locomotives were painted different colours in years past also.
NSW rolling Stock was painted like this for many years, victorian stock had
dates stencilled on the bogie side frames, and a
metal "dymo" date pop rivetted to each bogie.
Rod