Re: re Looking on with responsibility

I was arrested for riding a tram in Osijek (northern Yugoslavia) in 1980; I
hadn't even attempted to photograph it.  I was released in time to continue
my itinerary, but had missed dinner.

I was arrested in Bolivia for photographing a train at a station from the
window of my own train.  I was escorted from my once-a-seek train to the
local military barracks.  Fortunately, I was released in time to continue
on my train (and retained my film).

I was also challenged by security guards at GMH Elizabeth when
photographing my train from the platform (at that stage, the last of the
Adelaide step-down wooden ones).  They stated that the station was private
property, even if I hadn't passed through the security fence.  They did
confiscate my film.  Apparently I had photographed a stockpile of
unrealeased new models in the background.  My reassurance that I had
thought the cars were Falcons got me nowhere.  The company processed the
film, saw that there was nothing visible of its new cars, and mailed it
back to me.

Conversely, on my trip from China into Mongolia in 1983 I was encouraged to
wander around the bogie-exchange depot at the border and photograph
carriages in mid air.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Derick Wuen <cullend@webone.com.au> wrote in article
<375a1f49.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
> David Johnson wrote in message <374D587D.CB755C5F@ozemail.com.au>...
Come on you lurkers with mobs of tales and