Re: Edmonson Ticket type

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
376608DD.17EA@efs.mq.edu.au">news:376608DD.17EA@efs.mq.edu.au...
> John Duncan McCallum wrote:
>

> > I never saw any tickets with numbers inside a black square until I first
> > visited
> > Victoria in 1967.
> > All other states either used black numbers or embossed.
> > AFAIK numbers in black squares was uniquely VR.
>
> The black squares were the standard arrangement in NSW till the 1960s,
> at a guess, and many survived much longer than that.
>
> In view of the interstate rivalry which seems to be apparent on this
> newsgroup recently, it would be unwise of me to comment that the
> Victorians just never brought themselves into the modern era in this
> matter.
>
> Eddie

I have just looked through my ticket collection and found the following ones
with numbers inside black squares:
Brisbane suburban tickets purchased in 1984, 1988 and 1996.
A Wollongong to Broken Hill Return ticket purchased in 1984, but I think the
ticket had been in stock a long time.
I also have tickets from Museums and tourist railways with the numbers in a
black square, these are Puffing Billy, Tasmanian Transport Museum, Don River
Railway and ARHS Museum North Williamstown.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton