Re: Cancelled trains.

David Johnson wrote:

> Rob Kearey wrote:
>
> > David Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > Express Trains are something you should be proud of in Sydney.  If you go to
> > > Brisbane, you will get very used to the phrase "stopping at all stations".
> >
> > Not enuff rolling stock, as yet. And remember, we only have quad track
> > on the main north and main west (from Brisbane), which makes things a
> > little more complicated.
>
> Intelligent timetabling can easily get around the not enough tracks problem.  Do
> all the trains really need to stop at stations like Albion and Wooloowin?  Surely
> the Shorncliffe trains could stop all stations and all the others could run
> express?

Of course they could run many more trains as expresses, and they could
improve their rolling stock utilisation by doing so (especially in the
peak periods). But then they might attract more passengers. Couldn't
have that happening, could we?

Similarly Hillside Trains and Bayside Trains in Melbourne could act
similarly, and they could even run some of their empty car movements as
passenger trains. But that would definitely not be acceptable -
providing both MORE services and FASTER services would be such a
revolutionary measure that the patronage might almost double. Think of
the consequences of something like that! Somebody might even think they
were trying to provide a service to the travelling public.

Eddie