Re: 422 rumours

MarkBau1 wrote in message <19990613005541.19670.00000972@ng-cd1.aol.com>...
><<<<<Id doubt it's true, weren't Freight corp scared if they sold anything
>whoever
>bought them would go into competition.>>>>
>
>I don't doubt this "reason" but isn't it a very defeatist attitude?
>
>They are in effect saying, we can't compete with anyone so we would rather
let
>an asset lie about, deterioating (SP), depreciating than get some cash
flow.

>No wonder the government railways in Australia became the mess they are
with
>attitudes like these.
>
>Mark
Don't know how accurate this is, but a couple of years ago, V/Line tried to
maxamize returns from sale of surplus equipment. They got more from Scrap
merchants than Private operators were prepared to pay! Museums seemed to get
around this as several locos did get to Steam Rail, and Seymour.
Maybe  our friends at wally Rail can add to this?
Rod ;o)