Re: Transrapid's latest story & other Australian 'Shinkansens'

Joe Scott wrote in message <374C7A27.98B97B05@ezy.net.au>...
>Anything to do with 'High speed' trains between Sydney and Canberra has
gotta
>be a wank or an angle to get funding for more 'research.    THERE IS JUST
NOT
>THE POTENTIAL TRAFFIC, and when we realise that there will be an end to
this
>crap.  (and no-one likes trains more than I do) but you gotta be realistic.
>
>Joe

Joe,
      You should check out the population figures for Paris and Lyon. You
may be surprised when you compare these with Sydney and Melbourne.
Another interesting figure was the Airline seats sold between these cities
before and after the TGV.
These figures were published by the original consortium, proposing the VFT
between Melbourne and Sydney.
This line was Economicaly sound! The very strong Road Transport Lobby
combined with Oil Companies and destroyed the project with wads of shares
amd green stuff into the back pockets of our underpaid and hard working
Poli's
God bless 'em!
Rod ;o)