Re: Builder of the Alice to Darwin Line gives further details.

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:42:56 GMT, "David Proctor"
<thadocta@spam.ozemail.spam.com.spam.au> wrote:

>I know it is obviously too early to give any definitive plans, but have GSR
>given any indication regarding plans to extend the Ghan to Darwin, and if
>so, will it be both Ghans? This would obviously have implications for
>rolling stock utilisation, as one set would not be able to operate the full
>service as it does now.
>
>If their are plans to do this, then GSR need to start planning it fairly
>soon, as (I believe - subject to correction) refurbishments will need to
>commence to ensure that two full sets (plus spares) are available.

On the subject of passenger services, I seem to remember that there
was a proposal to build the Darwin line sometime in the 80s. There was
even a naming competition for the Darwin passenger train - the winning
entry was 'The Manuka' and the prize was a trip on the first train.

I wonder what happened to the prize winner, and his prize!