Re: How do you scan slides?

MarkBau1 wrote:

> You need to buy a dedicated slide scanner. You can try using a flatbed scanner
> with a tranparency adapter but the results are pretty poor.

Mostly because you have to scan through a glass layer. There is one brand around
(for about $4000) that is a glassless system but that price ensures that it is out
of reach of most.

> I'm not sure about Oz prices but in the US you can get a good dedicated slide
> scanner for around US $500 - 600.

I think somewhere near $1000 here but the old adage of the more you pay the better
it gets is relevant. But then again...
One that has been recommended to me by fellows in the trade is a Nikon slide
scanner which does mounted slides, strips of slides and has an APS attachment.
Probably aimed at the trade side of things. Seriously looking at getting one for
my shop.

> Alternatively you can take your slides to a pro lab that offers scanning
> services. Look for the "Kodak photo CD" service.

There are a number of independent photo labs around with the service without
resorting to the "yellow box" company. They are not the be all and end all in
photography.

David.