Re: Reporting Rail-related emergencies

Dave Malcolm <keithm@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
keithm.39.3754F59B@commslab.gov.au">news:keithm.39.3754F59B@commslab.gov.au...

> According to a Freight corp driver if you lift up of the booms the other
> will follow and the bells and lights stop.
>
> Dave Malcolm

I don't know about modern ones, but for the ones I used to maintain at
Comsteel Unanderra on the Kemira line this was definitely not the case. When
they failed, which was frequently, the booms had to both be propped up AND
the control circuit fuses for the lights and bells pulled. They used to fail
more frequently in wet weather, which I think was caused by short circuiting
of the track circuits, the use of slag ballast probably made the short
circuit problem worse.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton