Re: Melbourne (Aus) 80th anniversary of suburban electrification

Anne Thomas wrote:

> Dobrow Stephen wrote
> > "It's how you operate the service that determines
> > whether something is a
> > tram or a train and in some cases you can't decide."

> Yes, but sometimes the general public isn't aware of this.  I've heard
> people in Baltimore refer to their light-rail system as "the white train,"
> I suppose because they are run in two-car sets and so resemble a train.

And the Baltimore light rail "trains" sure look like trams to me, or, to
use North American terminology, a streetcar.

If it looks like a tram, runs like a tram and sounds like a tram, it's a
tram whatever euphemism is used to obfuscate the facts.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand