Re: RIP Austrack??

Frank Jones wrote in message <3753d9cf.17513747@news.pipeline.com.au>...
>On Fri, 28 May 1999 20:14:20 +1000, "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Heard that the X Class on lease to Austrack has been returned to Victoria,
>>and the joint venture with FV ran its last train today.....or so the
rumour
>>goes!!
>>Wonder if FV will go it alone, or perhaps partner with Freight Rail as was
>>originally planned??
>>

>Hmmm... yes, I have heard the *rumour* of Austrac's insolvency from
>two other separate sources as well.
>
>But, if this is so, my recent dealings with them makes me wonder if
>they are any great loss to the industry.
>
>As a tour organiser with the Rail Tourist Association, I and fellow
>Committee persons have recently had to deal with Austrac regarding the
>possibility of operating a tour in the Riverina area, originally
>planned for the June long weekend.
>
>Verbal negotiations began early in the year, and initial discussions
>were positive. The problems began when we sent a formal letter of
>application and a proposed timetable (to the 2 people in the
>organisation we had earlier spoken to) in March.
>
>Some weeks went by without a response so follow up phone calls were
>made, and we sent a reminder letter and fax to both people. Still no
>response until about 5 weeks after the original letter.
>
>It turned out that one of the people concerned had resigned. His
>replacement (according to the office person who rang me one morning)
>basically had a desk piled high with unanswered correspondence. The
>phone call inquired about the gist of our letter - that same day I
>received a 3 sentence fax which basically just said 'Austrac cannot
>accommodate your request'. No further reason was given - was it a
>crewing issue or a rolling stock problem or what? Could the problems
>be addressed somehow? The reply really seemed like someone was merely
>trying to get rid of a mountain of correspondence in the minimum of
>time.
>
>Anyway, that was only one of the two people we wrote to. We never
>received any acknowledgement from the other at all.
>

>=> All this made us wonder whether the response would be the same if
>you rang them and asked for a quotation to move 20 containers from
>Sydney to Melbourne.
>

>Is this just 'sour grapes' because of an isolated incident? No. I
>received the ARHS Canberra Div. 'Federal City Express' a couple of
>months ago. There was an article about their proposed Easter tour to
>Melb. which had been cancelled for a number of reasons. I quote:
>
>'Organising such a tour has not been made any easier by the lack of
>professionalism shown by some organisations outside the Society.
>
>We first thought of running this tour using CPH rail motors so I
>attempted to contact The Rail Motor Society's tours officer. My call
>was never returned. We then thought of using a 48-Class loco and

SNIP
>On the other hand, we have over the last few years operated tours
>involving Great Northern Rail Services and on every occasion we have
>experienced excellent customer service.
>

>We also approached Freightcorp when it became apparent that we were
>getting nowhere with Austrac. Their representative actually apologised
>to me for his 'late' reply - only 24 hours later!! I told him not to
>worry, that it was a lot better than we had experienced previously.
>Luckily I was sitting down though; they estimated ~$14 grand for just
>the crew and loco for 2 shifts - not including carriage hire!!!

Me thinks RIP Austrack    ...should have been RIP RailTours!!

but you are right , about Great Northern, you will not find a more helpfull
bunch of people anywhere!
And I am proud to add nearly all the GN people are  [ex] VicRail Trained
people.
Paul and his fellows have survived many attacks from their own work mates,
and the administration of the Railways, and despite the efforts of a few,
have come out with very little muck clinging to them, and on top. they have
survived most of their detractors [?] and are operating a very  polished
organisation. Financial constraints not withstanding, you could do a lot
worse than using Pauls very pretty locomotives on the front of your Tour
Train.
Rod ;d)