Re: Reporting Rail-related emergencies

Thanks for the reply. I did write a letter to Andrew Kitto, manager of
rail operations and safety at Transport SA (posted just before 6pm tonight
so it should be received tomorrow) about both reporting rail related
emergencies and the lack of public safety efforts except by TransAdelaide
- you may recall the old STA/AN combined rail safety booklets for
children. TransAdelaide's Daryl Chapman (contactable through Luciano on
8218 2346) had mentioned that they had been in informal contact with NRC
about a combined rail safety campaign, but I feel that it is a sad
indictment on privatisation that the operators and infrastructure owners
can't have a coordinated emergency contact number, combined safety
campaigns and consistent safety signs.

In fairness to Mr Walding, I was able to get through to him today via the
ASR main contact number, appreciate the problems with emergency
numbers, and don't envy the difficulty of being a small
operator with low volume routes trying to keep costs contained.

In fairness to the SA Police, they did suggest reporting to 11444, but I
object to the idea of calling the police and not being able to stay on the
line whilst the appropriate emergency personnel are contacted, so that the
emergency personnel can ask questions of the person making the report. In
the Adelaide metropolitan area, at least the Transit Police know the
network and have direct contact with emergency personnel.

See also my comment at the end of the quote block...

Neil Waller wrote:

> Some good research, Arthur.   Both encouraging and not encouraging at the same
> time.
>
> The attitude of the SA Police is interesting:   a hot box, or broken rail that
> leads to a derailment could have devastating effects threatening not only the
> property of the rail operator and the rail track owner, but also nearby
> properties and even life and limb.
>
> The derailment in the Hunter that demolished one of the stations is a case in
> point.
>
> Consider the damage if an up freight came off north of the Wattlebury Road
> crossing at Mitcham in Adelaide, and jack-knifed along the TransAdelaide
> platform as passengers were waiting for a train in morning peak.   The SAPol are
> not interested in hearing reports of hot boxes?   Perhaps not on 000 but on
> 11444?
>
> Do the police not want to have anything to do with public safety?   Is there no
> potential revenue involved by way of fines so they are not interested?
>
> Would reporting a large truck with a loose load likewise be frowned upon?
>
> ASR's attitude seems funny.   Understandably they are annoyed at unfortunate
> incidents occuring to their trains and the potential costs to them resulting
> from those incidents but surely they would be interested in receiving reports of
> problems BEFORE they become emergencies rather than discouraging reports by
> discouraging railfans.   They may be jumping to conclusions based on insuffient
> evidence and blaming railfans unjustly.
>
> And quite frankly a south bound freight should not under any circumstances be
> checked at signal NR2 particularly at peak traffic times.  It will block one,
> and perhaps 2, busy level crossings.  And there is the matter of starting the
> train again on that climb up out of Keswick.   It should be held in the Mile End
> loop.   Still ARTC and TransAdelaide control the signals so its not ASR's
> fault.   Presumably the driver came through Mile End on a caution and assumed
> NR2 would clear.

Perhaps this particular situation could be looked at in more detail, with
recommendations on inappropriate stopping points and more sensible
signalling practices?