Re: Bajool - Port Alma line

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
lpco3.1047$_Q2.7965@ozemail.com.au">news:lpco3.1047$_Q2.7965@ozemail.com.au...
> At Bajool there is a "Y" interesection and what seems to be a balloon loop
> at the junction of the main north coast railway and the Port Alma branch
> line.  All the lines are electrified, well ballasted and with heavy (by
QLD
> standards) track.  Its more than one would expect for a humble Queensland
> branch line.  What is the purpose of all this infrastructure?  What is out
> at Port Alma?

Nothing (railwise, that is).  The section beyond the CQ Saltworks siding was
closed on July 29, 1986.  When I went to Port Alma in 1992 (first and last
time)
the formation was barely visible, and there were a few rails set in concrete
at
the port itself.   The remainder of the line has had it's service suspended
during
the 97/98 financial year.

John McCandless

Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn.