Re: Transrapid abandons Sydney-Canberra

David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> writes:

>Maarten Deen wrote:
>> FYI: the planned line Berlin-Hamburg wil be some 290 km long and the planned
>> yourney time is just under 1 hour.

>Actually it's 292km in exactly 1 hour, or 292km/h. From a maximum speed
>of 430km/h, that's a shockingly low average speed.

That's because on large parts (rural areas) the maximum speed is limited
to 250 or even as low as 160 km/h. It's not a line to accelerate to
400+ and then decelerate for the next stop.

>> Info can be found on http://www.magnetschnellbahn.de (planning for the
>> Hamburg-Berlin line, only in German) and http://www.mvp.de (testsite
>> in Lathen, German and English)

>Much of the information Transrapid presents is pure fiction.

I agree, but which parts are in your eyes fiction? My doubts are with
the cost (high as they are, have they been estimated right?) and power
consumtion (the two-car test vehicle does not use that much power, but
according to Transrapid, a 10-car vehicle will not use substiantially
more. They'll have to explain that to me)

Maarten