Re: Transrapid abandons Sydney-Canberra

billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) writes:

>mdeen@xs4.xs4all.nl (Maarten Deen) wrote:

>> 300 average for transrapid, which is in no way exaggerated).

>ROFL.  Best joke I've heard for a while!

Please elaborate, I will too.

In my experience (if been in the transrapid testsite in Lathen, Germany,
admitted, they do a lot of 'transrapid is good for everyone' bollocks),
transrapid can routinely cruise at 400+ km/h, and can accelerate from 0-430
in some 4 minutes (if this were a linear accelaration, the distance needed
for this would be under 15 km.
If you don't want a local service, but a fast service with few stops, an
average of 300 km/h is feasible.
FYI: the planned line Berlin-Hamburg wil be some 290 km long and the planned
yourney time is just under 1 hour. Averaging to almost 300 km/h. The line
has 1 stop at either endpoint and 3 along the line.

Info can be found on http://www.magnetschnellbahn.de (planning for the
Hamburg-Berlin line, only in German) and http://www.mvp.de (testsite
in Lathen, German and English)

I am not saying a Transrapid should be built. Personally I have my doubts
with the cost of these projects.

FWIW, Maarten