Re: Trolley wheels/carbon skids on Melb trams

Johann Fan wrote:

> David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote in message
> 379FE412.1B0913E@omni.com.au">news:379FE412.1B0913E@omni.com.au..
> > When did conversion of trolley wheels to carbon skids commence?
> > Which trams were the first to be delivered with carbon skids?
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
>
> And are there any trolley pole trams still running? (W's excepted)In short, no. Swanston's scrubber car 10W is a pole car but all the Z1,
Z2, Z3 trams at Glen Huntly and Malvern have been converted to panto
operation. So, other than Ws, the entire fleet is panto equipped.

I think the conversion from trolley wheels to carbon skids happened very
quickly in the late 1950s, about 1957-58.

Cheers

Stuart