Re: Steam better than diesel - New Scientist

Peter Ware <pware@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Engineers at the Swiss Locomotive and Machinery (SLM) company have not
> only designed, built and tested a truly modern steam locomotive, but
> they have so far sold eight of them as working revenue earning units.
> The locos, all oil fired, are designed to work on the steep mountain
> lines in Switzerland and Austria were they out perform their diesel
> rivals.

Exactly what are their "diesel" rivals in this case?  I think you will
find they are mostly small diesels which are used for maintenance on
rack lines when the electric power is turned off etc or the regular
steam locos are our of service, and have not been designed so much for
economy of regular operation, but for longevity and reliability

> Their purchase cost is about 20% lower than equivalent diesel.

Ditto.

> Despite all this, the prospect of using steam as a serious motive power
> is met with derision by most railway engineers.

Not surprising, given that very few railways are "steep mountain" rack
railways.

Cheers,

Bill