Re: Steam better than diesel - New Scientist

Peter Ware wrote:

> <snipped the tecky bits the Swiss are up to>
>
> Despite all this, the prospect of using steam as a serious motive power
> is met with derision by most railway engineers.

Not really correct, as no seriously designed proven product has been
available. The typical proponent of steam power in recent decades was a
glassy-eyed individual with cinders in his hair, no knowledge of economics,
thermodynamics, or engineering materials, who would recite a long monologue
about "the good old days", "indigenous coal rather than imported oil", and
similar nonsense. Derision was his (they were invariably men in my
experience) just desserts.

If a new design of steam locomotive can be shown to provide a lower long run
average cost per ton-mile hauled at the required speeds than the current
generations of diesel-electric and electric locomotives, I am sure they will
be seriously considered.

> The articles author
> states that "most railway engineers nowadays do not have enough
> knowledge of steam locomotives to be able to judge the possibilities".

Ummmm - they certainly learned quickly enough about diesels when they were
first introduced. I am sure they could learn about steam again. Or nuclear
power. Or tethered animals in harness. Give us a break!!!!!!

> While it does not claim that steam should replace diesel,

Very sensible

> it does make a good case for looking at the economics and efficiencies of
> modern steam
> in some situations.
>
> Peter Ware

Of course.