Re: Greenvale Railway

> There was talk of a tourist train called "The Highlander" but it never
> eventuated full time. One journey to the then end of the line (the name of
> which escapes me) was conducted.
>
> When nickel was discovered at Greenvale, it was known that the mine would
> only yield a ten year supply. As I understand it, the entire township was
> made up of demountables. Once the mine ran out, the demountables were
> removed, as was the track, and Greenvale disappeared off the map.
>
> Darryl or John Mac may wish to comment.

 Here's my .02 (adjusted for inflation)...

As I understand, one enterprising individual (the name escapes me), actually
bought Greenvale, and promoted it as a place to live. I think he's had some
success, but I will defer to Darryl for further comment.

I also believe that there is a short stub of the Greenvale branch left,
which was
being used for trials of  the 2800class.  Again, Darryl would be able to
comment,
[if i don't get into strife for dobbing him in ;-)]