Re: Late running Ghan

"michael ostrowski" <mfo@netwit.net.au> wrote:

> I just noticed the Ghan on its way up the straight  past Orange East Fork at
> 20.28 on 18/7. One of the few nights I get down to the platform to take some
> photos  and it does that to me.

Part of the reason for late running Ghans is the size
of them lately.  Recent Ghan's into Alice Springs have
had 38 pass cars including power cars, up to six
motorail flats with double deckers, hauled by two NR's.

It is not easy to turn trains of this size around in a
couple of hours.  They have to be cleaned, restocked
and motor cars unloaded/loaded, it all takes time.

GSR's publicity to attract rail travelers North to the
Northern Territory is working well.

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>