Re: Bayside Trains driver stood down.

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:48:55 +1000, "Tony Gatt" <baulko@tig.com.au>
wrote:

>I have seen track circuits fail and NOT detect a train before.

Sprinters especially...

>Also most Melbourne crossings have green signals before them.
>
>Whatever happened to the "Healthy State Indicators" they started putting on
>Level Crossings years back?? Another project that never got off the ground??

Most if not all crossings in the country have received HSI's, they
flash a white light to the driver when the crossing is operating, and
it is 'healthy'.  By this, I think it detects that the flashers are
all operatingproperly & the battery is getting charged.  With
crossings in the country, the biggest risk is probably the AC failing,
or the Charger dying, leaving the crossing on the battery.  After long
enough, the B12 supply gets low enough to either release a relay or a
HXP keels over, start the lights, which then drags the battery down a
zilloin times faster.  After a while, the crossing literally dies.
The HSI, is therefore meant to give early warning of 'unhealthyness'
Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.
notagunzel@bigfoot.com
(Waiting for the next move at