Re: More problems with Metrol?

> Sunday 11/7:
>     6:52am Belgrave to city train (first for the day) stopped at
> Bedford Road (East Ringwood) level crossing - train had a red light,
> level crossing not operating.  Stuck there for 5 mins, then eventually
> moved until level with the stabling sidings. Stuck there for another
> 10 mins. The driver announced (with a very pissed-off sounding voice!)
> that there was a "points failure" at Ringwood.  Eventually got into
> the platform - another 5 mins delay before getting under way, then
> stopping YET AGAIN between the Wantirna Rd & New St bridges. If it was
> a points failure, how come we stopped there? We were WAY BEYOND any of
> the points in the Ringwood area.....  Arrive FSS approx. 22 mins late.

Melbournes signalling generally employs a 2 signal overlap on any set of
points. I assume this was placed at Ringwood during the recent upgrade.

If the points fail to detect, then the signal protecting them and the one
preceeding it, will be held at stop.

So assuming "all" the points at Ringwood had failed, then you would have
been held at Bedford Road. The points would need to have been secured if no
signals could be placed at proceed to lock them in place. And the signalman
would have had to issue a "Caution order". Depending on the new
arrangements, he may have had to deliver the order by hand, causing further
delays..

same for the points at the up end...

There is an automatic signal on the up as you leave Ringwood, pretty much
between Wantirna Road and New Sts.. you must wait 30 seconds before you can
pass an automatic signal at stop.

Sounds very much like the interlocking locked quite well, and the safest way
to protect trains is to not let them move at all..

Hope this helps..

Tony.