Re: Melbourne trains perhaps could use this idea

Jennifer Richmond wrote:

> Lineman wrote:
>
> > A rail company in northern England has appointed a poet-in-residence to
> > inspire passengers and staff on its trains. Ian McMillan will write and give
> > recitals - but has promised he will not be a nuisance to those hoping for a
> > peaceful journey.
> > (from the Age odd spot)
> > Just the thing for when your stuck between 2 stations.
>
> We're sorry for this short delay,
> But extra fares, we'll make you pay,
> With GST and CPI,
> It's all enough to make you cry.

Beautiful railway in Mel'burn this day!
Alas! I am very sorry to say
Ninety maintenence jobs have been taken away
On one July day of 1999,
Which will be remember'd for a very long time.

'Twas about six o'clock at night,
And the hot air blew with all its might,
As the BS came pouring down,
The other side did nought but frown,
And the Demon of the rail seem'd to say -
"I'll sell off the railways this day."

When the train left for Newport, 'ere
The passengers sang and had not a care,
But Spring Street blew a terrific gale,
Which made their poor hearts for to fail,
And many of the passengers with fear did say -
"I hope he does not sell the railways this day."

But when the train came near to Hobson's Bay,
The Demon did loud and angry bray,
And shook the foundations of railway pay
On that July day of 1999,
Which will be remember'd for a very long time.

So the train sped on with all its might,
And Yarraville soon hove in sight,
And the passengers' hearts felt light,
Thinking they would enjoy themselves with a beer,
With their friends at home they lov'd most dear,
And hope there would still be trains by New Year.

So the train mov'd slowly along the track that day,
Until it was about midway,
Then the subsidies with a crash gave way,
And train did stop for the rest of the day!
The Railway Fiend did loudly bray,
Because ninety jobs had been taken away,
On the last July day of 1999,
Which will be remember'd for a very long time.

As soon as the catastrophe came to be known
The alarm from mouth to mouth was blown,
And the cry rang out all o'er the town,
Good Heavens! The overhead is down!
And no more trains to Newport on the morrow,
Which fill'd all the peoples hearts with sorrow,
And made them for a taxi to hail,
Because all of the passengers were sav'd to tell the tale
How the disaster happen'd on that July day of 1999,
Which will be remember'd for a very long time.

Cheers
David Topaz McGonagall