Re: West Coast Rail looking for new locos?

Craig Haber wrote:

> The BK's are just that, an 'excursion' vehicle.  They are ideal for enthusiast
> trips (such as St Arnaud on the weekend), and 115km/h running is a real bonus.
> They will be used on regular services hauled by the R class, to allow the
> enthusiasts (and a surprising number of "normal" people do this too) to sit
> behind the R and *listen* to it.  That's all part of the steam experience!  They
> should be great during daylight savings during the spring, kicking back in the
> BK with all the windows open and 711 powering along....  They have at times been
> chartered by other groups for use on Warrnambool services and other specials.

Equally they are great for sitting back and listening to B61 powering along. Us
diesel fans enjoy that experience very much. I'm afraid I can't get hooked on steam
as some others because it was not around in my area of growing up. I only saw four
days of real western (Ararat-Serviceton) steam railway before it was back to the
sparks and electric locos of Box Hill. But good luck with your R.

David.