Re: Daily Telegraph (Sydney) today (5 July)

On 7 Jul 1999 04:26:03 GMT, "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au>
wrote:

>It is a most unfortunate assumption that tickets should be checked: a
>legacy of 19th century thinking.  Modern practice is proof of payment, even
>in the rules-conscious USA.
>It is cheaper and more efficient, and makes travel for passengers faster
>and more convenient.
>
>There should be no need for barriers at all.  Not only cheaper to build,
>maintain and operate, but allowing less impeded access for passengers
>(customers in 1990s parlance).
>
>Such methods are common in Europe, the home of good railway services.

 I just returned from a trip to Europe, went to Paris, Toulouse and
London and all their metro (repeat metro) systems have barriers, and
unlike barrier equiped stations in Sydney didn't seem to be staffed
(except London). Only the main line services had no barriers. System
seem good, although I did see somone jump a barrier in Paris, which
was an Olympic grade feat!!.

  As for Sydney I had no problems with the barriers when I lived their
and commuted to work each day. System was quick and reliable, I also
had no problems with the ticket machines either. I imagine the problem
like every thing in life is the people that have lived their for years
don't like change and pick holes in anything new or different. Just
look at the fixed seat debacle on the Tangara's. Where does one see
reversable seats other than Sydney (again on metro trains!!)
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia  ajwright@nospam.ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright   Do not reply to my email. Delete word 'Spam'.