Re: Greart Northern not so great now

MarkBau1 wrote in message <19990702112757.26717.00006373@ng-cd1.aol.com>...
>BTW, how did the name "Great Northern" come about considering it is based
in a
>Southern state and is headquarted in a Southern part of the state?

Paul Moore is an enthusiast, and much attracted to "big" railroading.
I think, like me, he would have loved to work a Class 1 US Railroad, [like
you,(my)  jealousy is a curse!!]
He did spend some time in Hammersley, but due to illness in family and other
conciderations had to return to Victoria. I bet that wet his appetite .
Rejoined V/line, and started again!
He then did something that everything thought was impossible, long before
West Coast and privatisation, he started his own Railway. The opposition was
terrible! Not from the Government, but from the petty V/Line bureaucrats
[sorry no idea how it spells] and other Railwaymen at south Dynon.
When Masrinus Van.... was first in charge of V/Line Paul put a proposition
to operate the NSW side of Echuca, and send trainloads to Bendigo for
V/Line. The cost savings [for V/Line] were tremendous, but the petty types
[head office] convinced Marinus to stop it from happening!
He proved them all wrong.
His company now operates out of the West Tower, second floor. Leases the
Contrans Siding (Gantry crane and all).
Owns both BG and SG locomotives , which are all maintained very well, and
cleaned weekly.
Has a long term contract with National Rail to supply Pilot Engines.[about
to conclude, possibly account the arrival of two modified C's]
Has various contracts with Freight Rail, the MET.
About to send two GM's back to South Australia for the wheat Season ,etc etc
Rod ;o)