Re: Railway map of Victoria online

I came up against this name condumdrum when I did my map. One of the Brighton
stations has had 3 or 4 different names in its history, I'm sure there are
others.

Unless you want to go into detailed explanations for each stations, like the
"Jungways" does I believe you have one of two options. Call it by its first
name or by its last name. It is historically inaccurate to use some names in
their original form and use more modern names for others.

In the 1910's, VR went through a period where they shortened every possible
name but they were inconsistent. For example Pyramid Hill became Pyramid but
Swan Hill DID NOT become Swan. They also dropped the s off a lot of names, eg
Armstrongs became Armstrong but Jeffries did not become Jeffrie. Jung Jung
became Jung but Lang Lang did not become Lang.

Ballarat, the town, did have 2 A's but they dropped one A eons  ago. If
Ballarat has yuppiefied its name back to Ballaarat, all well and good but to
the railway it is still Ballarat, thats the name that belongs on a railway map.

Bridgewater must have had an influx of yuppies because they are now calling
themselves "Bridgewater on Loddon" (I'm not sure if anyone actually uses the
new name) On a railway map it must, for accuracy, be called simply Bridgewater.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/