Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:41:07 +1000, "Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron
BEST)" <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:

>I think nobody's mentioned "Bullocks Flat", "Blue Cow" and "Perisher" (the
>latter must cause some amusement amongst ex-Poms, although it does tend to
>get "perishing cold" at Perisher!) Anybody know the etymology of these two?

Near Bullocks Flat just before the Thredbo River bridge there is a
picnic ground in which stands a small hut. Some tourist info there
gives the history of the area, and I think the name 'Bullock' is
associated with one of the earlier landowners in the area - perhaps
his name *was* Bullock or else he was the one who coined the name.