Re: The stupidity of passengers.

In article <1999Jan12.172519.14923@hpal01.isd.tafensw.edu.au>,
  mstrutt@newsmail.tafensw.edu.au wrote:

> 	I have previously posted examples to this NG, as they came up,
> 	of stupid authoritarian events I have witnessed as they happen,
> 	such as the stupid games played by Central staff on the day of
> 	the Wynyard flood, holding up already late trains on massively
> 	overcrowded platforms until everyone had lined up neatly behind
> 	the yellow line (quote from PA "Come on, *both* feet behind the
> 	line. Don't think I can't see you"). There have been several
> 	others.

This is called humour.	It is obviously to try and lighten the mood of people
who are very delayed and becoming increasingly annoyed.  Humour is a very
good way of relieving tension.	I once had a 2 car set replacing a 6 car set.
 I used humour to keep the passengers happy (I had 15 passengers in my cab)
and later received a phone call from an operations inspector thanking me, as
they had received a number of calls from grateful passengers.