Re: V/Line "C" class

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Craig Haber wrote:

> G'day,
>
> Maurie Daly wrote:
>
> > Also remember that the NRs were the first loco in Australia to fit 4000 HP
> > into a 23 tonne axle load weight limitation , which is no mean feat.
>
> Aren't the AN class loco's 4000 hp (or damn near to it) and 128 t total? (about the
> same weight as a 3000hp G/BL)
>
> Cheers,
> CH.
> --
> Craig Haber
> albatross@harnessnet.com.au
> http://www.harnessnet.com.au
> "It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys"

Yes they are , I was however trying to compare apples with apples.
The ANs are two strokes against the NRs being a 4 stroke.
Its a lot easier to get a given amount of HP out of a 2 cycle engine than
it is out of a equal weight 4 cycle engine ,simply due to the double
number of power strokes per revolution.
Of course this is somewhat offset by the poorer fuel consumption.

cheers
MD