Re: The stupidity of passengers.

Gill,

Having just come back from a 6 day trip to Germany, where I travelled all
around Germany for the 6 days withouth a break, no hotels etc, I got quite a
good picture of the railways there. I also have spent about 3 weeks there in
the last couple of years. In the former East of the country there appear to
be a majority of female guards on trains and occasionally at night they are
accompanied by a member of DB Security. I didn't see any members of DB
Security with a dog of any kind, and I saw enough of them.  Also on the
matter of graffiti. Germany is probably the most graffiti afflictd railway
in Europe, it is absolutely everywhere. Infrastructure is covered in it and
so are the trains, lots of painted carraiges and locomotives, plus plenty of
windows in carraiges have been repeatedly tagged. DB do their best to remove
the graffiti as there is plenty of evidence on trains of where there was
once paint, on window rubbers for example, but they can't keep up with the
"artists" that do the painting.

I agree with you that the railways are very safe, with a high level of
staffing everywhere, plus on virtually every train I travelled on, some 300+
overall, my ticket was examined by the on-train staff.

Damian Clement
    Gill wrote in message <01be3a85$004780e0$f06c868b@torpan>...
    This is a case of government apathy.The successive governments have
lacked the ability to know what is going on in their patch.In Germany the
local train services are patrolled by dual security officers with dogs
,either german sheperds,dobermans or rotwelers.These guards are on the
platforms,on the trains and anywhre the public wants control.
    There is no graffite covered carriages people are safe within the
systems 24 hr a day.Most systems have a honour system to have a ticket but
these guards do a bit of surveylance of revenue enforcement.
    What Craig has discribed is factual,but would not go on if the system i
have explained went on here.
    --
    Gill
    Manly,SYDNEY.